Tuesday, May 3, 2011

OT + Breathe the AIR = A positive future.

Once I finally hacked up the history that was lodged in my throat and was able to breathe, I came to the conclusion that my past was not going to define who I would be who I am. I also thought that other people needed to hear this as well.



When I decided to start Breathe the AIR I was finishing up the missing puzzle pieces from transferring to a different university. Not all of my class quite fit together so I need a few more. I was going to school part time this semester simply because thats number of pieces I needed to move forward, I was about to enter my hardest semesters in college, otherwise known as junior year of occupational therapy.
Time management had to become a skill in order to accomplish everything that I set myself up to do. It was much harder then it sounded like but now that I’m in the professional phase of this 5.5 year entry level Master’s program, I started to wonder how I was going to be able to tie my two separate lives at the time together…
Not everyone understands the concept of occupational therapy, OT is much more than what people give it credit for and there’s no universal definition of what it is. Throughout this horridness junior year, I’ve learned a lot (which I would hope I would do since I pay QU $40,000/year) and have been able to discover a link between my organization and my career choice. OTs can really work with any population it just comes down to payment and for the time being I’ll worry about that when it comes time.
I made the decision that I will be going into a metal health setting so I can merge my two lives together. Mental health is a challenge but one I’m willing to take on. The American Occupational Therapy Association recently launched a position paper on how OT can be used to treat those who have been trough domestic violence, well sexual abuse is on the same spectrum as DV. Perfect, AOTA is already making strides to what I hope is a new development by the time I graduate.
School is no joke, and attempting to keep up with my organization while taking 18+ credit semesters is a juggling act, and I admit I can’t juggle but I guess when you are throwing multiple objects in the air while catching and throwing them I can manage school and a non-profit. It may be not be with grace (I’m clumsy) but it’s always about the journey right?

2 comments:

  1. well said!!! you go girl you have me right behind you love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All about the journey. Yes, indeed.:)

    ReplyDelete